Monday, August 31, 2009

CHAPTER 3 ~ A Little Talk with Mama

"Oh, Mama," Emma sighed as she set the table for dinner. "Why did I buy them ice cream?"

"Because they are your best friends, Emma." Mama answered. "You know that."

"But none of them said thank you... and they think I am a liar." wailed Emma as tears welled up in her big brown eyes.

"Calm down, Em." mama replied soothingly. "We'll talk about this after dinner. Please go and tell your father that the food is on the table."


All through the meal Emma was quiet. She was deep in thought. The whole time she sat and ate she wondered why her friends would doubt her. How did they get it in their heads that she hadn't heard the scratching sound in the drain pipe? Soon she started making up thoughts in her head. She wondered to herself if maybe someone at Scott's school said that her family was a bunch of liars. Maybe someone said that the Johnson's never told the truth. Emma considered the possibilities all through dinner and she was still thinking about it while she was getting ready for bed.

When it was time for her tuck-in, Mama finally asked, "So, tell me Em, what's going on with Scott, Jake and Chrissa?"

"I'm not really sure," Emma answered, "but I'll tell you what I know."

Emma told her mother how no one heard the scratching noise, and about the ice cream truck, and about the argument. Mama listened carefully, and when Emma stopped to catch her breath, she finally said, "I think you need to prove that you heard that sound."

"How can I do that?" Emma asked.

"I have an idea," said Mama. "Invite them all over for dinner Monday night. We'll have grilled cheese sandwiches and dessert on the front porch..."

No comments:

Post a Comment